Re: Change the signatures for -user and -devel!

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 11:47:14AM -0500, Stephen Pitts wrote:
> Heh..this has been brought up several times. The consensus was
> (IIRC), that the signatures for -user and -devel need to
> be switched, so debian-devel contains the newbie-unfriendly
> sig that we have right now, and debian-user gets the traditional
> "mail debian-user-request@lists.debian.org" to unsubscribe.

This is not at what I was suggesting.

I was suggesting a link to the newbie information that people
on this list were discussing last week.  This could include,
among many other topics, instructions to unsubscribe from
debian-user.

> Maybe a big bold link on the Debian home page that says "Have a question? Look here
> first" which takes the user directly to the search input box on the mail archive
> search engine?

I was suggesting a link like this as a sig for debian-user,
but maybe leading to a web page with some introductory info
 _and_ the search engine.

The "mail -s..." link was difficult for a newbie to follow
anyhow, since it required familiarity with unix command-
line mail utilities.

Just MHO.

--D

P.S. What is the current sig for debian-user? (Doesn't show
up in my mail.)
--
David Karlin