Re: starting X at boot

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Alain Toussaint wrote:

> i was surfing on the internet and viewed some comments on enabling X at
> boot,i tried the trick down there ( modify /etc/X11/config so the line
> no-start-xdm look like start-xdm,backup /etc/inittab and modify so when
> booting,it load into runlevel 5) but this hasn't worked,is there some
> document i could read for enabling X at boot ( and i did read a lot of the
> manpage sooner this week on this) ???
>
> p.s.i put the backup inittab back into the /etc directory so it start back
> in runlevel 2.

You probably have to add a single line to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers too:

---cut---

# $XConsortium: Xserv.ws.cpp,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:30 gildea Exp $
#
# Xservers file, workstation prototype
#
# This file should contain entries to start the servers on the
# local machine; if you have more than one display (not screen),
# you can add entries to the list (one per line).  If you also
# have some X terminals connected which do not support XDMCP,
# you can add them here as well.  Each X terminal line should
# look like:
#       XTerminalName:0 foreign
#
# X servers are automatically added to this file by the Debian
# xbase and xserver configuration scripts.
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

---cut---

Look at the last line, I bet it is missing on your system. It tells xdm
which xserver to run on what display. If there is no such line, xdm will
still be running, you'll just not notice anything you would expect (like
seeing the xserver you expect it to start.)

Cheers,

Joost