Re: PINE Debian Package

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 01:33:47PM +0200, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> I contacted washington.edu and they really do not want binaries to be
> distributed if they do not "approve" the patches *first*.
>
> If we do not have the freedom to apply whatever patches we like, including
> security or bug fixes, without an approval from the University of
> Washington, then we will have to distribute the patches without the
> binaries.

I wonder: Could we all band together and complain *loudly* but *politely*?
;-)  This is very very frustrating, and it is giving both Pine and Debian a
bad reputation.  They are going to keep losing users if they keep this
stupid "No patched binaries" thing up.  It does nothing but to show how
stubborn, non-trusting and "non-free" (libre) they are, and it has become so
much of a frustration that many of us here choose to use mutt instead.

Should we get a petition and a nice request letter going?  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada