Re: PINE Debian Package

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 08:00:12PM -0400, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> : Mutt is, at best, a very weak replacement for Pine.  As for text email
> : clients, Pine has no equal and is "free enough" for most uses.  If Debian
> : is going to start producing a crappy distribution just because it is free,
> : I will pay for one that is not.
>
> Weak?  Uh, many of us feel that mutt is quite an order of magnitude
> better.  I am among those who feel this way.  Why is mutt better?

I'll agree with that---with some caveats...

> 1) Native support for Maildir format mailboxen

This is the biggest reason I didn't give up on mutt.  Pine CAN support
them, but the support is more a kludge right now.

> 2) *much* more configurable than pine

....and *much* *HARDER* to configure than pine.  Frustrated me to no end,
really.  Finally someone sent me a .muttrc that was close to what I wanted
and I've been able to figure the rest out.

> 3) Doesn't have the nasty habit of wanting to post to a newsgroup when
>    someone replies (not follows) to your article
> 4) Doesn't try to pass itself off as a second rate newsreader

I actually used pine's newsreader one time.  Liked it, was fast and
simple.  But then, spam took over usenet and pine just CAN'T keep up.

I guess it's not a problem then that I never got pine to WORK with news.

> 5) Support for color

This is as much a curse as a benefit, though it's listed as a "feature", I
have calmed the colors a bit but kept them.

> 6) Support for threaded discussions (great for mailing lists!)

I'll reserve judgement about this being a good or bad thing.  It's been
handy for mailing lists yes, but I would like to disable it other places.
It's probably possible to do it--don't ask me how just yet.

> 7) It's less filling:
>
> /home/jcostom$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/pine
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     users     1193128 Jan 17 12:47 /usr/local/bin/pine
>
> /home/jcostom$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/mutt
> -rwxr-sr-x   1 root     mail       320948 Mar 15 22:44 /usr/local/bin/mutt

You CLEARLY use maildir, doncha?