Re: unpacking debian source archives

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 06:47:41PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> I need to install the new source-only pine package ... I've got the
> .orig.tar.gz,  the .dsc,  and the .diff.gz,  and can't seem to get patch
> to install them.  How to I go about this?  Is there a dpkg option for it?

Move the three files in to a directory (/usr/src/pine-src) where you can
get at them.  Run dpkg-source -x <dsc file name> and it'll unpack and
patch everything for you.  Then change the the directory it just created
(/usr/src/pine-src/pine-3.96L/) and type dpkg-buildpackage -B -uc.  Go get
yourself a soda or something.

When you get back cd .. and ls *.deb.  There will be 3 files, pine, pico,
and pilot.  You need pine if you want mail.  You need pico if you want the
pico editor seperately available, and pilot if you want the "file manager"
seperately available from pine.

dpkg -i <file.deb> will install a package for you.  If you want everyting
just dpkg -i *.deb and it'll ... install everyting.  =>