Re: PINE Debian Package

On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 11:37:31AM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> If we distribute a "binary" package that consists of the original source,
> the debian patches, and an installation script that patches, compiles, and
> installs, then surely we are not distributing a patched binary?
> Users are patching it for themselves :)

This is exactly how we are doing it with qmail >:-P   /* :) */

> Alternately, we could just make it an installer packae that says "please
> have orig,patch.dsc in /usr/src", just like the netscape installer says
> "please have netscape.tgz in $TMPDIR", and give explanations, or even
> automations, on how to get it there.

Unnecessary as your already explained solution above can work. The point
seems to be for PINE people to make user think before applying the patch.
Well, I doubt that most users and developers!) are experts enough to judge
the security of a pine patch...

> Well, that is my suggestion, and I am fairly confident that there should
> be a way to slip it or something like it past UW's license.

It wouldn't even be a "slip", just a legal way. UW is aware of this and is
allowing distribution of diff files!

> On a side issue, doesn't anyone use elm? Are there reasons why it is all
> "mutt vs. pine"? On a freshly installed system that I have not downloaded
> pine onto, I usually use elm. I can't see any disadvantages of elm, at
> least on the surface, and it seems a little more extensible than pine (no
> doubt due to licensing :) I am considering whether I should just switch to
> it so I can stop supporting retentives like UW. (The observant will notice
> I am writing this in pine :)

The point is as follows (correct me if I'm wrong): elm was discontinued and
then me (full name ?) was working on it and released elm-me+. But me also
wrote a mail reader from the cratch, and this is mutt. So, you can think of
mutt as the successor of elm, although they are quite different.

Marcus