Re: Telnet Proxy anyone?

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Mark Phillips wrote:

> One of my internet service providers (well actually, my university) only
> allows access to the internet via a proxy server.  So I can use netscape
> to ftp (and I presume use telnet though I haven't tried this).  However I
> cannot use normal ftp programs and mirror etc, because I don't have direct
> access to the internet.
>
> My question is, can you set up your system so that all ftping telneting
> etc is automatically done via the proxy?  In particular, can I set things
> up so that mirror will work?

IIRC, with the TIS fwtk (which apparently is included with debian) you
would telnet to a telnet-proxy and get a prompt where you can specify the
site that you want to telnet out to. With ftp, you would ftp to the
ftp-proxy and open a connection to username@site.on.the.net, where
username would most often be anonymous or ftp.

At least, that is the way I do it here.

If you are good friend with the proxy administrator, you can also try to
get some additional priviliges. If he allows you to use a ssl-enabled
http-proxy to connect to arbitrary ports on the outside, you basically
have an opening for a tunnel through the firewall.

With a hack to ssh (well, it's not even a hack to ssh, with an option you
can tell it to use another program to preconnect) you can redirect ssh
connections through the webproxy. Next, you could setup ftp on your
machine to connect through a ssh socket on your machine that in turn
tunnels through the webproxy. Basically, you could use this to connect to
any port on any outside machine.

Cheers,

Joost