Re: Telnet Proxy anyone?

> On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 04:39:23PM +1200, Richard L Shepherd wrote:
> > Has anyone heard of a telnet-proxy package (especially for linux and
> > Debian of course)?
> >
> > We have some people who have (and want to keep) their subnet blocked
> > for offsite access (so they do all their WWW browsing via a WWWcache
> > which can then be billed for).  I was wondering if there is something
> > we can do like
> > this for telnet.  Any ideas?
>
> There is no such thing as telnet-proxy.  What you are after is SOCKS -
> socks4 is packaged already (I'm working on v5, but most people don't
> need
> that - *I* don't need it either!)

I have a question which I think is a bit different to the one Richard was
asking, but perhaps it is related?

One of my internet service providers (well actually, my university) only
allows access to the internet via a proxy server.  So I can use netscape
to ftp (and I presume use telnet though I haven't tried this).  However I
cannot use normal ftp programs and mirror etc, because I don't have direct
access to the internet.

My question is, can you set up your system so that all ftping telneting
etc is automatically done via the proxy?  In particular, can I set things
up so that mirror will work?

Cheers,

Mark.