Re: The effects of backspace and delete are reversed in vim

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 12:57:19PM +0200, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> An annoying feature of vim is that the effects of backspace and of delete
> are reversed compared to any other vi.

See help :fixdel

> It is particularly annoying because backspace will delete existing text,
> including newlines, when it is in input mode.

The current default /etc/vimrc has
set bs=2                " allow backspacing over everything in insert mode

help :backspace says that for vi compatibility you want "set bs=0".

> Should this be regarded as a bug?

There's already a bugreport about /etc/vimrc (#19903 /etc/vimrc shouldn't
exist or be empty). I'd consider it covered by that.

For the record, I do not agree that the standard /etc/vimrc should be empty.
The settings that are currently in it, are useful only for particular types
of files. As such, IMO they should be moved into autocommands for those
types of files, e.g.
:    autocmd BufRead
:    mutt*[0-9],snd.*,.letter,.followup,.article,.article[0-9] set textwidth=76 formatoptions=2tcq comments=n:>,n::,n:#,n:%,n:\| digraph

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig