Ensoniq no soporta ULAW : playmidi no me tira

El Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 07:09:49PM +0200, Agustín Martín contaba:

>Si te sirve de consuelo, hace poco le instalé el sonido a una compañera
>con una ensoniq 1371 y tampoco me funcionan cosas como saytime que se
>queja de que no está /dev/audio (con un kernel 2.2.9) . Como el driver
>de la es1371 no es el del OSS/Lite, no se si activa bien /dev/audio y
>/dev/sequencer para esa tarjeta. Por lo que ví en los cambios del
>kernel, había habido algunos cambios en las últimas versiones para ese
>driver, pero no sé que implicaron. A ver si mañana hago la misma prueba
>con otra versión del kernel, a ver si es ese el problema

Otra vez el leerse la documentación del kernel:

ALaw/uLaw sample formats
------------------------

This driver does not support the ALaw/uLaw sample formats.
ALaw is the default mode when opening a sound device
using OSS/Free. The reason for the lack of support is
that the hardware does not support these formats, and adding
conversion routines to the kernel would lead to very ugly
code in the presence of the mmap interface to the driver.
And since xquake uses mmap, mmap is considered important :-)
and no sane application uses ALaw/uLaw these days anyway.
In short, playing a Sun .au file as follows:

cat my_file.au > /dev/dsp

does not work. Instead, you may use the play script from
Chris Bagwell's sox-12.14 package (available from the URL
below) to play many different audio file formats.
The script automatically determines the audio format
and does do audio conversions if necessary.
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/cbagwell/projects.html

Saudos:
><ose        xmanoel@bigfoot.com   (Vigo/Galicia/España)
         http://pagina.de/xmanoel/
         http://w3.to/mikkeli/

06/16	The Monterey Pop festival opens, 1967
06/16	First programming error at Census Bureau, 1951 (apocryphal)