Re: PPP

Marina Gandelsman writes:
> From reading some of the archived emails it might possibly be
> /etc/init.d/network, there's no mention of ppp there, just ethernet (I
> answered that I have ethernet when setting the machine up, but it uses
> both). What should be in that file?

It's what should not be there: a default route.  When you admitted to
having an ethernet connection the install software assumed it must be your
route to the Internet and made it the default route.  Pppd won't override
an existing default route, so all your Internet-bound packets get sent to
your LAN.  Edit /etc/init.d/network and remove the default route.  Use
route to delete the default route so that you don't have to reboot.

If you need a default route via your ethernet, put scripts in
/etc/ppp/ip-{up,down} to delete the route when ppp comes up and put it back
when it goes down.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)