PPP

(please Cc: all replies)
I've installed Debian on a previously slackware machine. Most things seems
to be working fine but pppd stubbornly refuses to do anything useful. pon
dials up and logs in successfully but it won't start up ppp (nothing shows
up in route or ifconfig). From reading some of the archived emails it
might possibly be /etc/init.d/network, there's no mention of ppp there,
just ethernet (I answered that I have ethernet when setting the machine
up, but it uses both). What should be in that file? Any other suggestions?
(running 2.2.9 kernel, BTW)