Re: PPP

	Subject: PPP
	Date: Sat, May 29, 1999 at 11:04:59PM -0500

Quoting Marina Gandelsman(msg@inetnebr.com):
> (please Cc: all replies)
> I've installed Debian on a previously slackware machine. Most things seems
> to be working fine but pppd stubbornly refuses to do anything useful. pon
> dials up and logs in successfully but it won't start up ppp (nothing shows
> up in route or ifconfig). From reading some of the archived emails it
> might possibly be /etc/init.d/network, there's no mention of ppp there,
> just ethernet (I answered that I have ethernet when setting the machine
> up, but it uses both). What should be in that file? Any other suggestions?
> (running 2.2.9 kernel, BTW)

I don't know the answer to your problem but here is what I would do to
locate it.

1.  Check logs to verify that I am connecting to the net.
2.  Check /etc/init.d/netbase to insure that my network ip is
    correct and that I have ipchains rules configured correctly.
    Ipfwadm was replaced by ipchains in 2.2.x kernels.
3.  Check that the IP addresses in /etc/init.d/network are correct.
    As this is where ipconfig & route are setup.

HTH, YMMV, HAND

--
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
                -- Weisert