getting out of fvwm

I'm *still* installing my first Debian Linux!
I got X windows running, with default window
manager fvwm, but next time I logged in it
didn't stop at the commandline --- went straight
into graphics mode and gave me a login window
for fvwm.
In Red Hat, this is controlled by /etc/inittab, which
sets the initial runlevel to 3.  5 is required to launch
X.
In Debian, inittab has default runlevel set to 2, so
why is it launching straight into fvwm?
Does anyone know what config file needs to be
changed so I can login to commandline only?

Also when I exit from fvwm, refuses to exit to
the commandline. I'm back at that darn login
window again. Even <ctrl-alt-backspace>
won't get me out.

regards,
Barry Kauler