Re: Some newbie questions

"Luis M. Garcia" wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 12:47:04AM +1000, Robert Norris wrote:
> > > 1 - My X server since installation starts automaticly... I don't want it to
> > > auto - start. How do I take that option out?
> >
> > I'm guessing you mean xdm. If your system is like mine, you'll have a file
> > /etc/X11/config. In their will be a line 'start-xdm' which you should
> > replace with 'no-start-xdm'.
>
> This is true if you are using Debian 2.0; if you have Debian 2.1 (aka Slink)
> you should remove the xdm package if you don't want X server to start
> automatically:
>
>         dpkg --remove xdm
That's kind of extreme! Before you do that try using Ctrl-Alt F1 (or any
F key from F1 thru F6) to access a regular console. If you want to
return to the XWindow use Ctrl-Alt-F7 . you can go back and forth  as
needed. I find this technique very useful when installing new software,
as I can run several terminals including X with different users logged
in.
begin:vcard
n:Foster;John
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.advance-computing.com
org:AdVance-Computing Systems;WHQ
version:2.1
email;internet:jfoster@augustmail.com
title:Owner
note:We Build Multi-Processor Computers
adr;quoted-printable:;;Stonetrail Drive=0D=0ASuite  A;Plano;Texas;75023-7223;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;22240
fn:John Foster
end:vcard