Re: Some newbie questions

> 1 - My X server since installation starts automaticly... I don't want it to
> auto - start. How do I take that option out?

I'm guessing you mean xdm. If your system is like mine, you'll have a file
/etc/X11/config. In their will be a line 'start-xdm' which you should
replace with 'no-start-xdm'.

> 2 -  Is there any kind of autoexec.bat at Debian? Where?

Sort of. The startup scripts are in /etc/init.d, with symlinks for each
runlevel under /etc/rc?.d. However, you will seldom have to change the
contents of these files, since there are 'safe' ways to set up the system,
such as placing information about modules you want loaded at boot in
/etc/modules, or mount info in /etc/fstab (Some things are different on
different distributions though, most of this is debian specific, but I
figure you probably wouldn't be here if you weren't using debian ;)

> 3 - How do I mount my Windows file system at hda1? Then so it'll mount every
> time I log, I'll have to add the mount command to the Debian autoexec right?

Add a line similar to the following to /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1  /dos  vfat  default  0 0

I'm guessing your windows partition is a FAT32 partition (win9x), if its
not, you may need to change 'vfat' to 'msdos' .. /dos is the mount point,
you may have to create it, or put it somewhere else (/mnt/dos is also
popular)

> 4 - How do I configure my PCBIT ISDN card. I installed the module but it
> says when it is loading it that there are still 3 files to be configured at
> /etc/isdn... How do I configure them ? Isn't there an ISDN How-to somewhere?

Absolutely no idea on this one. Check the LDP (http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP);
perhaps someone else would like to field this one? ;)

re,
Rob.