The mysterious '2 '

  Thanx to olly,

  when he mentionned a possible mistake to do with redirection
  I pretty much guessed what that the problem was. In the file
  /etc/profile I have an alias that runs the following command:

  alias upD.='updatedb --prunepaths="/var /cdrom /tmp /proc /mnt" >
/dev/null 1>&2
  \'

  This particular alias is I think OK, but I noticed that when I
  modified it slightly (by taking the '&' away) and called it from a
  normal user account it produced the file '2 ' and the text I found
  so worrying. No doubt I ran the alias in the past when it wasn't
  correctly written.

  T: per_adua32