Re: The mysterious '2 '

per_adua32 wrote:

  > 	A while back I noticed that there was a number 2
  >in some of my directories. Initially my first reaction
  >was to delete them as I had not created them. Even this
  >took a while as they were actually named 2space ie '2 ',
  >which was not obvious to me.
  >
  >	Last week I discovered some more of these files and
  >decided to look inside one. I used 'file' and discovered that
  >they were text files. I used 'cat' and the following was displayed:
  >

  >	/usr/bin/updatedb:  /var/lib/locate/locatedb.n: Permission denied
  >	find:/etc/ppp:Permission denied
  >	find:/etc/chatscripts:Permission denied
  >	find:/root:Permission denied
  >	find:/bin/secure-su:Permission denied
  >	updated: new database would be empty
  >

  >	As I write this E-mail I seem only now to notice what the
  >contents of the file actually mean. I hope I am wrong.	I am a home
  >user and the only network I'm connected to is the internet, and I
  >haven't used this for a month or two as I intended to change my isp.

These are error messages.  Somewhere someone has tried to redirect error messages and has written `>2'.  I can't, at the moment, think what he might have inadvertently done to get a space on the end. `>2\ ' or `>"2 "' are two
ways of accomplishing it.

He might well have been meaning to direct stderr to stdout: `2>&1';
given sufficient confusion of mind or fingers, anything is possible!

Try looking at scripts run (not as root) from cron.

     "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast,
      unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord,
      forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain
      in the Lord."      I Corinthians 15:58