Re: debian-user-digest Digest V99 #824

Andre wrote:

> 3) Why does debian say 'only the root can do that' when I type the line below:
     $ mount /dev/fd0 (or any other floppy drive)

I've been following this thread, and I haven't noticed this answered
completely yet.

I have the following lines in /etc/fstab:

#
/dev/hda2       /             ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
/dev/hda4       none          swap    sw                         0      0
proc            /proc         proc    defaults                   0      0
/dev/hda3       /usr          ext2    defaults                   0      2
/dev/hdc1       /var          ext2    defaults                   0      2
/dev/hdc2       /home         ext2    defaults                   0      2
/dev/hdc3       /tmp          ext2    defaults                   0      2
/dev/hdb        /mnt/cdrom    iso9660 noauto,ro,user             0      0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy   vfat    noauto,rw,user             0      0
/dev/hda1       /mnt/win95    vfat    noauto,rw,user             0      0

Note the entries for /dev/hdb (cdrom), /dev/fd0 (1st floppy drive), and
/dev/hda1 (Windows partition)(yeah, I know. my wife insists).

This states that (as an example) /dev/fd0 is to be mounted at /mnt/floppy, is
a vfat file system (I don't think vfat is supported by the default kernel-u
might use msdos instead), is not to be auto mounted at system boot (might not
be any- thing there!), is mounted read/write, and is mountable by any user.

Hope this helps.

--
Steve Gore <srgore@ev1.net>

:examining the entrails: n. The process of {grovel}ling through a
{core dump} or hex image in an attempt to discover the bug that
brought a program or system down. The reference is to divination
from the entrails of a sacrified animal. Compare {runes},
{incantation},{black art}, {desk check}.