Apt and non-standard directory structure

Hi,

Yet Another Newbie Seeking Help.

I have a Debian mirror upstream from my ISP from which reasonable download
speeds can be achieved and the following directory structure:

ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/main/binary-i386/.

Notice the missing dists/stable between debian and main?

I've downloaded and installed the base system and everything worked as
advertised. With a statement in the debian-tutorial and trial and error I
managed to convince apt to update the package list with the following entry
in etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub/Linux/distributions/debian main/binary-i386/.

However, when I select install in dselect, apt parses? dists/stable between
debian and main with predicted results. Is it possible to overide apt's
default settings or should I try and get the mirror fixed.

I've read the F(ine) manual, scanned the archives, searched DejaNews with
no results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Christo Barnard.