Re: Apt and non-standard directory structure

*- On  4 May, Christo Barnard wrote about "Apt and non-standard directory structure"
> Hi,
>
> Yet Another Newbie Seeking Help.
>
> I have a Debian mirror upstream from my ISP from which reasonable download
> speeds can be achieved and the following directory structure:
>
> ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/main/binary-i386/.
>
> Notice the missing dists/stable between debian and main?
>
> I've downloaded and installed the base system and everything worked as
> advertised. With a statement in the debian-tutorial and trial and error I
> managed to convince apt to update the package list with the following entry
> in etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub/Linux/distributions/debian main/binary-i386/.
>
> However, when I select install in dselect, apt parses? dists/stable between
> debian and main with predicted results. Is it possible to overide apt's
> default settings or should I try and get the mirror fixed.

They are obviously mirroring it and not updating the Packages file to
reflect the change in directory structure.  The apt line tells apt
where to find the Packages file.  Then the Packages file tells apt
were in that tree to find the packages.  Since they have missmatched
the directory tree to the Packages file it will not work.  Tell them to
either manually modify the Packages files or add the two missing
directory trees.  The former is a royal pain for the admin, the later
should be a simple mkdir, mv, edit mirror setup.

--
Brian