Re: xhosts question..

*- On  3 May, Allen B. Riddell wrote about "xhosts question.."

> Ok, I'm using xdm and everything, when I su to root from my normal account
> and try to use x programs -- the program yells at me and tells me to use
> xhost to add whatever host to the list of approved addresses...
>
> Anyway -- so I get out of the shell and type xhost localhost or something
> like that -- then I su back and everything works fine.
>
> I've read "man xhost" or xhosts, can't remember which -- but anyway, I
> can't decipher if there is some file that controls access that I could just
> add localhost or whatever to and avoid this whole mess in the first place?
>
> Can someone help?

I use the following method on my single user home machine.  In my root's
.login(I run tcsh as roots shell)

if ($TERM == xterm-debian) then
	setenv XAUTHORITY /home/servis/.Xauthority
endif

Where /home/servis is my normal users home directory.  Then all I have
do is set the $DISPLAY variable or supply the -display command line
option for root programs to use X.

--
Brian