xhosts question..

Ok, I'm using xdm and everything, when I su to root from my normal account and try to use x programs -- the program yells at me and tells me to use xhost to add whatever host to the list of approved addresses...

Anyway -- so I get out of the shell and type xhost localhost or something like that -- then I su back and everything works fine.

I've read "man xhost" or xhosts, can't remember which -- but anyway, I can't decipher if there is some file that controls access that I could just add localhost or whatever to and avoid this whole mess in the first place?

Can someone help?

-abr