network printer problems

I am having a heck of a time setting up a "virtual" postscript
printer.  I am trying:

$ cat hellow.ps | /etc/filter.ps | lpr -Praw

where:

----- Begin hellow.ps -----
%!
/Helvetica findfont 72 scalefont setfont
72 72 moveto
(Hello, world!) show
showpage

----- Begin filter.ps -----
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=laserjet -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- -

----- Begin printcap -----
raw:\
	:lp=:\
	:rm=###.###.###.###:\
	:rp=LPT1_PASSTHRU:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/service_ps:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:

A blank sheet is spit out when the command is executed.  The printer
is an Okidata OL830 Plus, set to emulate the HP LaserJet Series II.
The print server is an Intel NetportExpress 10/100.  I can print plain
text fine (echo hello | /etc/filter.pcl | lpr -Praw), where:

----- Begin filter.pcl -----
#!/bin/sh
# This is a simple filter for PCL language printers, i.e., most
# HP DeskJet printers (see /etc/printcap).

# reset the printer to its defaults
echo -ne \\033\E

# to avoid stair-stepping, convert "LF" to "CR+LF"
echo -ne \\033\&k2G

# print text
cat

# form feed
echo -ne \\f

# reset the printer on exit
echo -ne \\033\E
----- End -----

I understand that my final printer setup will not use a "raw" printer,
but will have the appropriate filter specified as "if=" in the printcap
entry-- I am only using this setup for debugging.  I've tried different
Postscript input, several different HP *jet device types, etc.

Do I need to pass gs some additional switches to get the PCL output
right?  Is the Postscript input somehow flawed?  I have spent a couple
of days on this now, and am at my wit's end.

Your help is appreciated.

Marc Mongeon

P.S.  Here's some pertinent package information:

Package: gs
Version: 5.10-1

Package: lpr
Version: 1:0.33-3