IPMasq and Internet Telephony

I tried to find IPMasq specific resources for this question, but all references seem outdated and refer to ml.org domains which no longer seem to exist.

My situation is this: A Debian (1.3) gateway between a LAN and a Cable Internet modem using the IP Masquerading software. The LAN clients run Win95 and access the Internet fine.

Now I would like to do internet telephony and am aware of difficulties with various pieces of software. As the IPMasq mini-howto suggests, Vocaltec Internetphone works fine. Problem with this is the pricing. I would rather use something a little cheaper than $50 (per side). I came across a product: BuddyPhone (www.buddyphone.com) which unfortunately does not work 'out of the box'.
I contacted the supplier and they replied:

buddyPhone uses 2 ports; 700 for voice
transmission, and 701 for IP resolution.  Depending on how your lan is
configured, your systems administrator will have to export all activity on
port 700 and 701 to your local machine

Unfortunately they do not know Linux. Personally I am reluctant to experimenting because I know barely enough to get the system installed and would not like to compromise security.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure my gateway as to allow for this communication? I would be very grateful.
If someone has a suggestion for an alternative solution for internet telephony in this case, I would be interested too.

Many thanks.

Erik van der Meulen <erik@avondel.xs4all.nl>