Re: .debs using /usr/local/

*- On  2 May, John Hasler wrote about "Re: .debs using /usr/local/"
> Michael Stenner writes:
>> I though that, as a general policy, .debs didn't put anything in the
>> /usr/local/ tree.
>
> I believe I recall reading that it is ok for packages to create empty
> directories under /usr/local.

>From the policy manual

3.1.2. Site-specific programs
-----------------------------

     As mandated by the FSSTND no package should place any files in
     `/usr/local', either by putting them in the filesystem archive to be
     unpacked by `dpkg' or by manipulating them in their maintainer
     scripts.

     However, the package should create empty directories below
     `/usr/local' so that the system administrator knows where to place
     site-specific files. These directories should be removed on package
     removal if they are empty.
[....]

--
Brian