lilo problems

hey all

I just expanded the 2.2.6 kernal into /usr/src.  I have only the base system installed, but am getting debs and
throwing them into a windows directory.  among them was "make".  so I got to the "make menuconfig" step and I got
an error (sorry can't remember which one).  I thought I'd find out what files I might be missing, so I shut down.
When I cranked old betsy back up, lilo was unresponsive.  I used the rescue disk to reload lilo, but it would then
only boot to my debian partition.  Nothing there works yet, really, so I wound up toggling my windows partition
bootable. (and now can't even boot from the debian boot disk)  oh yeah, I did look at lilo.conf--but I wasn't sure
what to put there.

btw, I used tomsrtbt's (the micro distro) fdisk to toggle, and will also be able to get at lilo.conf from there too..
Hmm.  hda1 is windows, hda2 is swap, and hda3 is Linux.  Can anyone, ah, tell me what to write or do?

Of course, I have questions about other stuff too, but I don't want to get tiresome. [|:-)  (that's supposed to look
like a guy wearing a hat)

-tf