Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:49:15PM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > Dunno what they do now that ABS is common.
>
> Do they still teach if you have a floor mounted automatic, to hit neutral
> during a panic stop?

AFAIK they've never taught that... autos aren't very common over here,
and they're even more uncommon as vehicles for taking the test, since
if you take the test in an auto, you're not licensed to drive manuals.

> _big_ difference in stopping times at 30-40 mph and under.

...but possibly less so with a small, (relatively-)high-revving
European-style engine, than with a big torquey low-revving V8? I'd
have thought that at those kind of speeds, the big V8 won't be that
much above tickover, whereas the little European engine will be doing
some reasonable revs, and so when you take your foot off the throttle,
the engine will rapidly decelerate to a speed where it's not providing
any drive anyway.

But then, I've never driven an auto for more than a few feet, so I'm a
little uncertain.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons