Re: DVD copying and CSS

Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
With the recent injunction granted against 321 Studios for their DVD X Copy software for copying DVDs, I've been wondering something. Why is it necessary to break CSS encryption to make a copy? Could you not make a bit-for-bit copy of the DVD and have the contents still be encrypted on the new medium? I mean, copying an mp3 file from one cd to another doesn't require you to decode it first.

The answers I've gotten so far indicate that it's just a limitation in DVD-Rs (Pre-written CSS sectors, size limitations, etc). So what's to stop another company from producing "real" DVD-R media? I doubt the DVD Consortium would approve them, so they'd have to call them DVBs (digital video backups) or something, but still.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

E-mail     [jjk3@msstate.edu]