Kernel Compile Problems

A "make menuconfig" fails in checklist.c with the following:

debian-rtg:/usr/src/linux-2.6.3# make menuconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
  HOSTCC  -fPIC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLLD -shared scripts/kconfig/libkconfig.so
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/mconf
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/checklist.o
In file included from scripts/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:29:20: curses.h: No such file or directory
In file included from scripts/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:127: error: parse error before "use_colors"
scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:127: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration
of `use_colors'
scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:127: warning: data definition has no type or storage
class
scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:128: error: parse error before "use_shadow"
scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:128: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration
of `use_shadow'
scripts/lxdialog/dialog.h:128: warning: data definition has no type or storage
class
<SNIP>

The errors continue for another two pages, but the above text is sufficient to
show that something in wrong.  This immediately following the download from
www.kernel.org of linux-2.6.3.bz2.  After bunzip2'ing the file, tar xf'ing
the result, cd'ing to the directory, and issuing a "make menuconfig" the
above is the result.

For what is purported to be a release kernel, my problems indicate errors on
the part of the kernel maintainers or myself.  I hope it is myself.
--
Comments are appreciated,

Bob