Re: Starting a GPL'ed Blackhole Service to Replace MAPS

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 04:29:21PM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > I'd have appreciated it if you'd included the text below *before* your
> > comment ... I in no way said the choice was between BIND9 or djbdns.
> > You said that.
>
> Yes I did.  I usually consider the options for a DNS server to be:
>
> Windows (bletch)

Oh, I assumed we were talking Free Software :)

[ snip ]

> > I hear over and over again that djbdns violates the "spec" ... as far
> > as I've seen, this is not true: djbdns tends to follow the RFC but
> > often "violates" common practice as established by BIND.
>
> That could be it.  I hear it over and over as well, but I could be
> thinking of qmail :)

I think you are.  Let's leave qmail out of this for now :)

> > BTW, check out who's been extensively involved with BIND.  Check out
> > who's been extensively involved with MAPS.  Hmmm ...
>
> Secondary, I think.  IIRC Vixie hasn't been involved with BIND coding for
> years.

I know, but it's still interesting, isn't it?  I don't know that I'm
trying to imply anything ... I just find the association ... odd.

> > http://www.maradns.org says the authoritative server is beta quality;
> > I've heard others say it works fine.  I cannot speak about its
> > reliability since I haven't used it yet.  Already packaged.
> > "apt-cache search" is your friend.
>
> Umm... it's not an official Debian potato package.  I'll need to look at
> it, though.

Oh, sorry ... I've run unstable for so long that I forget to check
whether a package is in stable or not.  You are correct, it's not a
package in potato ...

> Besides, the term "beta quality" lowers it's status in my eyes.  I usually
> don't look at someing until it's 1.0 (or really close).  It's... unusual
> zone file format will also be a problem for some people.

Well yeah, beta should scare you some.  I haven't looked at the file
format so I can't comment on it intelligently.

> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/customdns/ is something I'd like to
> > look at, though its readiness has got to be suspect :)  Downloading it
> > now ...
>
> It's java & geared towards a specific purpose.
>
> The java thing kills it right there :)

Well, that should so you how deeply I investigated that project :)
(Not very).

> > I know I've heard of at least one more project but I can't find it on
> > Sourceforge.
>
> dents?

Yes, that was it ... I've heard rumors that it's dead, so I assume
it's dead.

> > (BTW, why does Sourceforge use Javascript links?  They don't work in
> > Konquerer ...)
>
> They work for me.  Did you turn on JavaScript in Konqueror?

No ... new to Konqueror.  Thanks :)

[ snip ]

> > some hate Dan Bernstein (and by extension his software),
>
> It doesn't help that DJ Berstein has an abrasive personality that tends to
> abandon his software when he's lost interest in it rather than pass it on
> to someone.  His licensing doesn't help the issue any.

Agreed (though I think some of what Bernstein says is twisted and
presented by his foes out of context).  However, there's no denying
that he's tough to deal with.

If you read carefully, (I believe) Dan Bernstein doesn't believe in
software licensing at all.  All the details are on his web pages ...
I'll post the URL if you want to investigate for yourself.  He doesn't
place any restrictions on use or modifying the code.  He does place a
restriction on redistributing modified code, which I find odd given
his rant about software licenses :)

To be frank, I think the real reasons djb software is not included in
Debian and other distributions is because

1) people don't like him, and

2) FHS/FSSTND arguments. (For more FHS arguments. check out the
debian-devel archives over the past few weeks :)

> > I don't think either of us will convince the other that he is
> > incorrect :)
>
> Yay!  We agree on something! :)

Possibly even more than one thing :)

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.