Re: Please reconsider closure of # 457151 -- it affects gfortran transition

Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:44:21PM -0800, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
>> 7) If dpkg was reverted not to re-order Build-Depends, I could force
>> refblas3gf to be installed first, satisfying the dependency of lapack3gf
>> on "atlas3gf-base | refblas3gf | libblas.so.3gf" and preventing the
>> attempted installation of non-existent atlas3gf-base.
>
> I think lapack3gf depending directly on atlas3gf-base is the root of the
> problem. I would suggest moving atlas3gf-base dependency to recommends.
> Thus atlas3gf-base will be pulled onto enduser installations but not
> on buildd's (where recommends are not installed).

I guess this dependency is caused by the shlibs file of refblas3gf being
set to "atlas3gf-base | refblas3gf | libblas.so.3gf".  But if someone
installs lapack3-dev, without specifically also requesting ATLAS, IMO it
is most likely that they only want refblas3-dev and refblas3gf to be
installed.  (Otherwise the person would only have installed the ATLAS
packages without worrying about the lapack3 packages.)

Camm, do you think it would be possible to fine-tune the dependencies of
lapack3-dev and lapack3gf so that they ask for refblas3-dev
(respectively, refblas3gf) *before* atlas3-base-dev (respectively,
atlas3gf-base) ?  The former is trivial.  Since I think the latter comes
from the shlibs file of refblas3gf, I'm not sure how best to implement
it.  Maybe use an shlibs.local file in the lapack3 source package?

So then lapack3-dev would have:

Depends: refblas3-dev (>= gfortran-transition-version) | atlas3-base-dev
(>= gfortran-transition-version) | libblas-3gf.so

Obviously, substitute in the relevant version numbers for
"gfortran-transition-version".  Also I'm not sure that I got the name of
the virtual package right, but you get the idea.

Note, the versioning of the dependencies should be added to the
lapack3-dev package in any case, even if they aren't re-ordered;
currently (at least on my machine) pbuilder is pulling in the version of
atlas3-base-dev that hasn't transitioned yet, which is wrong!

And lapack3gf would have:

Depends: refblas3gf | atlas3gf-base | libblas.so.3gf

If this can be done, please consider my objection to the closure of
#457151 to be withdrawn.  Camm, is it possible?

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/