Re: larry

On Monday 28 February 2005 12:54, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:13:30PM +0100, David Schmitt wrote:
> >Yes and exactly that is the point why debian-installer rules, and the
> > windows installer sucks.
>
> Yes and no. Take the new partitioner, for example. Yes, it lets you do
> more than the old partitioner, but if you think it's intuitive you're
> nuts. And not only is it not intuitive, it's different than anything
> anyone's used to partition things in debian before. So while it's more
> friendly for new users, it's like a martian to an experienced user who's
> comfortable with fdisk.

There are no intuitive interfaces. Only some are already familiar.

That said, I have to admit, that I installed several systems before I felt
that I mastered partman. Now I _can_ setup LVM and RAID with the same tool
that needs one or two keypresses if I accept the defaults. The first point is
major karma for the installer for me as power-admin, the latter is even more
major karma for me as lazy-admin.

Microsoft has solved the partitioning problem by selling PCs preconfigured.
Their installer _forces_ you to partition your disk. With d-i I choose "free
space" and "mumble mumble (recommended for new users)" and I'm done!

Regards, David
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?
- *hust* gut *rotz* *keuch*