Re: Kylix 3

Justin Pryzby wrote:

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 03:32:29PM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
I tried to find info on how to get kyix to work under debian-testing but did not find anything. When I load Kylix and try to run something as easy as a simple form, my machine freezes. Can anyone tell me what I should do to install the thing properly, or give a link...
I need lots more information.

Is it this?
 http://www.borland.com/kylix/

You said you loaded Kylix; what does that involve?

You said the machine freezes, but as best as I can tell, Kylix is a
userspace program, and therefor cannot make the machine freeze.  After
it has "Frozen", can you switch to virtual console #1 and login?

Also, what is kylix for?  All I know is "borland" and "form".
:)

Justin

Sorry for the lack of information, Justin
Here we go:
Kylix from borland is a developing tool. I am coming from Microsoft products where I used to work with Delphi from Borland too. Kylix is about the same product for Linux platform. I downloaded the product from the link you gave in your reply, and there, there are guidelines on how to install the software, and everything went really smoothly... Kylix starts OK, compiles a software, and I think it does it correctly??, but when I try to run it, or even try a example given with Kylix, Kylix and the being developed application frizzed. I can still kill them from xfree, and I don't have to reboot. So, it's not that bad. I guess I am missing either some sort of configuration inside Kylix, or some libraries of some sort.. I googled the question on Linux - debian - kylix and all I found was people asking if anyone has managed to get it running with Debian (apparently it is working well under Redhat and Suse). But those people asking never got any answer. So I am trying here, has I would hate to have to redo all my work from my Xp days. By the way I migrate my work done with delphi under xp to Kylix under debian, and every one of them migrated OK and was recognized by Kylix.
Thierry