Re: adding new Hard Disk to sarge

On Thursday 17 February 2005 01:23 pm, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Someone on freenode #debian tried to tell me I need an empty directory to
> > mount the drive to just like a removable media (/media/floppy
> > /media/cdrom etc..) but I know that isn't right.
>
> I think it is right; (but the directory doesn't have to be empty; you
> can mount something anywhere you like).

i created directory 'mgm' under /mnt so there would be an empty /mnt/mgm
directory for the disk..

> > However, being a little desperate I tried
> > it out but that failed too..
>
> What was the message?
>
> > Soooo...  anyone have suggestion, solution, ideas...
>
> What is the partition type?  Run file -s /dev/hdc1.
> What mount command are you using?

debian:/mnt# file -s /dev/hdc1
/dev/hdc1: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/hdc1' (No such file or directory)

> Try something like mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt.

Here is my actual fstab and attempt to manually mount the disk..

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hdc1       /mnt/mgm        ext3    defaults        0       0
/dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

debian:/etc# mount /dev/hdc1
mount: special device /dev/hdc1 does not exist
debian:/etc# mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/mgm
mount: special device /dev/hdc1 does not exist

cd to /mnt  (there are currently two dir here)

  kirk-mike  <<-NFS mount point that works fine.
                  ( mount 192.168.1.10:/home/mike/data/  kirk-mike/ )

  mgm        <<- to mount point for the new ide disk.
                  (that does not work at all)

debian:/mnt# mount mgm
mount: special device /dev/hdc1 does not exist
debian:/mnt#

> > btw, is there any way to get sarge to recognize new hardware on bootup.
>
> That's mostly up to the kernel, even if there's software like discover
> that pretends to find new hardware:)
>
> What hardware doesn't work?

Mdk, RH, SUSE, Connectiva, and others have always detected my new hw on boot
and I've grown used to the convience and now sarge seems like a big step
backwards in that regard even though it is superior in other aspects...

I'm also haveing issues with my SB Live audio card but that'll have to be ya
thread..

--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...

I have a hard time being attracted to anyone who can beat me up.
  -- John McGrath, Atlanta sportswriter, on women weightlifters.