GDM Accessibility can not play WAV or Ogg sounds

Debian GNU/Linux testing "Sarge" - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20050122)

GDM login screen : menu Actions / Configure Login Manager...

On tab Accessibility I choose "Make a sound when login window is ready"
and select a sound file.
Then I push "Test Sound" but nothing is played. ( I don't hear anything )

I tried some WAV and Ogg files from /usr/share/sounds

When I close the dialog and the login window appears, only a PC speaker
beep is heared, the selected file is not played.

Otherwise sound works just fine ( XMMS, totem etc. after I log in )

Regards,
David