Re: root access via FTP

Yes, root fails when using the password for "jpg",  of course. I
didn't try entering the root password itself, in case it was a trick
to get the root password.

Justin, it is certainly possible that there was some sort of "su"
going on, although I didn't call it explicitly from the command line,
OS X does run installation and other programs as "su", and demands a
password.

After closing Terminal and restrating, this has not happened again
yet. I will try testing it some more - running something on OS X using
"su", and then trying to ftp to the Sarge box.

In any case, if it was a client problem, it is not a Debian issue at
all. I think I was confused because ssh (if I remember correctly)
defaults to not allowing root logins, and I thought the same policy
applied to the ftp servers (like wu-ftpd). I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the help!

JP