Re: secure login problems

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:44:48AM +0100, Buchinger wrote:
> hello!
>
> since a few weeks i have problems with ssh and webmin logins. in
> reglular interval of 5 to 7 days i can not log in via ssh or connect via
> webmin to my root server.
> when logging in with ssh -l root <server> -v the root server establishes
> the connection and then closes the connection instantly.
> when trying webmin my browser tells me that the connection can not be
> established but some data may have been transfered.
> the only way to log in is via telnet and try to restart the sshd. but
> when doing so sshd says "Segmetation fault" and the only way to have ssh
> again is to reboot the server.
Hmmm, that's not a good sign.  Is the problem in any way reproducible?
Any shell users besides yourself?  Have you done any memory tests?
Anything interesting in /var/log/{auth,daemon,messages,kern,sys}*?

You say that the ssh server crashes when you try to restart it, so I
would recommend trying to strace it:

	strace -xx -ff -s 999 -v -o ssh-strace -p `pgrep sshd`

And then try to restart it.

Can you verify the integrity of the ssh binary (`debsums -s ssh`)?

You also say that you have to reboot the server; what prevents you
from just running /etc/init.d/ssh start?  Does it always segfault?

Justin