Re: Success installing on a Sun Fire 280R was Re: Problems installing Linux in Ultra Sparc III SunFire 280R

Brian Milco wrote:
Hi,

I've also been trying to get a sunfire 280R to run linux. And I would appreciate any
help you could give me to get mine working too.

You mentioned that you took out your video card, but you didn't mention what you did use (I'm assuming you used the console?) if so what install image did you use,
and what options did you pass to the kernel, if any?

Thanks in advance,
     ~Brian C. Milco

Hi Brian,

You're right, I used the console. You should read all messages of thread
"Problems installing Linux in Ultra Sparc III SunFire 280R"
on debian-sparc list for details. But shortening ...
I installed from a TFTP server with Ben Collins' images,
pointed me by David Miller.

http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/

No kernel parameters were necessary. I plan to try installing
with PGX32 graphics card instead of a PGX64. Which one do you
have?

Regards,

Eduardo Castro
CPqD Telecom & IT Solutions