Re: unknown partition table

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 04:12:05PM -0800, Philippe Troin wrote:
> Sven Lankes <sl@megabit.net> writes:

> > Ok - that helped. The raid arrays work now.
>
> Glad to hear that.
>
> > > And any self-respecting filesystem doesn't touch the first sector of the
> > > partition for that very reason. Unless Linux raid autodetect partitions
> > > are broken.
>
> Actually, I've checked and I can confirm that LVM obliterates the
> first sector when one pvcreates a volume. It probably stores a
> signature (LVM UUID, etc...) there.

Somebody ~:^) might want to be careful with phrases like "... any
self-respecting filesystem doesn't touch the first sector ..." because I
don't think that the underlying filesystem type was ever mentioned, so
if could be ... well, anything.  And the Politics of Linux File Systems
should itself be a graduate level course in the CS curriculum of most
colleges.

And oh yeah, lvm isn't a filesystem.  Yet.  Stranger things ....

I've had problems with the raid code playing badly with the label/bdev code
from waaay back in 2.2 land.  It's good to hear that you can work around
it with the starting sector thing now, 'cuz that never worked for me in 2.2.