unknown partition table

Hi!

i recently aquired an old Sun Enterprise 150 with
one internal 2GB HDD and 12 HDDs in the Machines
"drive bay".

I managed to get woody installed on the system
drive and my plan was to split the remaining 12
2gig drives into two raid arrays with 5 data
drives and one spare.

This works fine (i can create the arrays,
create a filesystem and put stuff onto the
system) as long as I don't reboot the machine.

As soon as it gets rebooted, it "looses" some
partition tables. This is what the bootlog
shows:

esp1: target 5 [period 100ns offset 15 20.00MHz FAST-WIDE SCSI-II]
SCSI device sde: 4194995 512-byte hdwr sectors (2148 MB)
sde: unknown partition table
esp1: target 8 [period 100ns offset 15 20.00MHz FAST-WIDE SCSI-II]
SCSI device sdf: 4194995 512-byte hdwr sectors (2148 MB)
sdf: sdf1 sdf3

And fdisk /dev/sde now tells me that "Device contains neither a valid
DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel" and i have to
reconfigure the drive in fdisk, delete the linux and swap partitions
that the new disklabel created and create my new raid partition.

A "working" partition table looks like this:

Disk /dev/sdb (Sun disk label): 19 heads, 80 sectors, 2733 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1520 * 512 bytes

Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1             0      2733   2077080   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb3             0      2733   2077080    5  Whole disk

After "repairing" the partition tables i can revive the raid
array again but only until the machine gets rebooted.

I tried the stock debian 2.4.18 kernel first and after
that compiled my own 2.4.18 kernel. The problem persists.

I googled around for a while and tried doing things over and over
again which did not really help. I'm lost now. Can anybody help?

The machine has two scsi controllers. One with the cdrom and
system drive connected (FAS100A) and the other one with the 12 drives
connected (Happy Meal FAS). Could it be a hardware problem?

--
mfg sven lankes              |  quidquid latine dictum sit,
megabit informationstechnik  |      profundum viditur