Re: Problem booting Sun Blade 100 with Debian install media

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 10:35  AM, Arne Nordmark wrote:

Hello,

I have no luck booting a Sun Blade 100 with 512M memory and PROM version 4.6 from the Debian install media. I have tried the Official Woody CD, and BenC's latest netinst.iso and tftpboot.img. After the message

Booting Linux..

nothing more seems to happen. Other sparcs (Ultra 10, Ultra 1, SS10, etc) boots fine from the same CDs.

Is the superblock being found on the HD?

When I first installed my Ultra 10 I had the same problem, it was because I tried to put the swap slice in another area on disk - once I reformatted it using the Solaris Disks - just to get the logical and physical layouts right -- the Debian system installed and rebooted correctly from then on.

What does your fdisk say about the disk layout?

Mine says:

Disk /dev/hda (Sun disk label): 16 heads, 63 sectors, 17660 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             0     16883   8509032   83  Linux native
/dev/hda2  u      16883     17660    391608   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3             0     17660   8900640    5  Whole disk

I am using the Official Woody disks I made using the Sparc ISOs.

HTH :]
_ Bill -Sx- Jones  "iudicium ferat" ____________________
...Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh...
...until they sedate me...

Lead Courseware Support Analyst
(Lead e-Systems Developer)
FCCJ * ACID * CWS