Re: sparc and alpha boot-floppies

Package: boot-floppies
Version: 3.0.19
Severity: important

Okay, this is going to be the bug report then.

(When replying to this message on the list for some reason, please don't
forget to REMOVE the Cc to submit!)

Colin Walters@lists.debian-sparc@14 Feb 2002 00:08:03 -0500:
> > I tried 3.0.19 on my x86 last week, but it sucked. There was no way
> > to install from network. Even worse, without fooling the Linux
> > kernel (hdc=none hdd=none) it insisted on an install from CD, didn't
> > even offer me to install from another partition. Haven't been able
> > to test more..

This is about all I can say. It happened with the compact 1.44 sets and
the normal 1.44 sets.

After initializing the swap partition and mounting an existing ext2
partition as root I choose for the next step, intall kernel+modules. It
immediately prompts me which one (of the two) CD-ROM drives I'd like to
use. I get the same screen when installing a base system.

Then I retried, but with the hdc=none, hdd=none flags to make the
installer believe there are no CD drives. Worked just a bit, now it
allowed me to install from an existing partition, fd0 or fd1 (IIRC). But
still no FTP/HTTP.

>  I don't see any open bug reports on boot-floppies about this.  Could you
>  submit a detailed bug report, please?  It won't be fixed if we don't
>  know about it.

Of course, I've been submitting one bug report a day lately, but I
forgot about boot-floppies (and I should go fix some bugs myself as well
:-/)

Anyway, if necessary I can try to reproduce this bug with more debugging
information. Just tell me what to do.

Greetings,

Wilmer van der Gaast.

--