Re: Sun Support for Linux

Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> At Mon, 11 Feb 2002 it looks like Bob Van Cleef composed:
>

> > Has anyone seen any indication of a sea change since the press release
> > stating the Sun was embracing Linux?
> >

> Hmm, well there have been actually two announcements in the last two
> weeks that have raised havoc on the SUN mailing lists,
> Solaris-On-Intel to be exact.
>
> Sun announced that they were NOT going to release Solaris-9 for
> Intel but only Solaris-9 for Sparc, they also pulled the free
> downloads for Solaris-8 Intel ISO's but Sparc downloads are still
> free.
>
> That lit off a rage on the
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solarisonintel/messages list which
> caught SUN off gaurd and they had a big meeting today, that is 6 of
> the top posters of the Solaris-On-Intel lists and some big folks at
> SUN, they will announce the results tomorrow or shortly after.
>
> Posters to the list are divided, not on the Solaris OS but on what
> SUN should do since it buckled in per-se'.  Some say SUN is losing
> it, (see stock prices) some say they are just in a flux.
>
> I posted once stating that SUN would do good to invest in Linux on
> Sparc hardware to help salvage the possibly soon to come "Sparc
> Auctions" but my idea wasn't received well.  Jeez I see companies
> with hundred of thousands of dollars of pre-existing sparc hardware
> just waiting to install a Sparc version of Linux but Sun as we know
> it doesn't have a Linux release for Sparc.  For orientation purposes
> I posted the url of http://www.ultralinux.org/
>
> We'll see. :)

I guess I'm just confused.  Say again why anyone is waiting for a
Sun version of Linux for SPARC?  Debian and others work pretty
well.  And as far as Sun supporting Linux on SPARC, they've been
doing it for many years, in one form or another.  They've supported
open source ftp and web sites seemingly since time began.  They've
donated SPARC hardware to Debian on at least two occassions that I
know of.  I've read articles in supposedly respectable newspapers
about how Sun was going to change Cobalt machines to Solaris just a
few months after buying them, even though that was obviously not
going to happen.  If I had bought Sun stock every time I've heard
some ignoramus predict that Sun was going to get rid of SPARC over
the years, well, I probably could've retired to Maui by now.