Re: ITP: xslj, a XSL processor (XSL is one of the stylesheet format of XML)

> This isn't true.  You can use the "print" stylesheets to produce

That may be a newer version than I've looked at; ISTR you could sort
of do it with older versions but things like the one-page
vs. multi-page selection was only available in the html version.

> Well, you are saying that for some reason you can't get the print
> stylesheet to work right, correct?

This was a DTD I wrote from scratch (that being the point of the
exercise, to show how easy it was :-) so I needed to concoct a
stylesheet as well.

The main problem was that TeX is really good at doing a lot of things
(like paragraph flow) that I had no need for; it has a lot of design
and is generally suitable for something else entirely.  For slides, I
really wanted to put everything onto the page in specific ways, and I
needed a lot of control for that -- and I was in a hurry :-) Raw
postscript let me really tweak the appearance well, and perl simply
has a bigger toolbox than jade-scheme.  (Yay regexps - do you want to
try and parse %%BoundingBox without them?)

On the otherhand, HTML is so primitive that getting jade to output it
nicely is easy... I don't *need* much control there, and 100 lines of
DSSSL gave me everything including META tags and substitution of jpg
files for ps inclusions, by name...  the perl code was closer to 200
lines, but included at least 50 lines of raw perl preamble, and is
relatively simple.   Getting jade+tex to do what the postscript does
would have been a challenge, but if someone wants to demo another
path, they're certainly welcome to :-)