Re: SGML validation in emacs

itz> nsgmls -gues my_preamble.sgm my_child_doc.sgm

Bob> I performed this intriguing experiment, and found that, yes,
Bob> nsgmls with a doctype passed to it like that would complete the
Bob> validation without complaining that the child had no doctype. But
Bob> when called thus, nsgmls apparently does not know where the child
Bob> fits into the overall picture. So, if I run it on, say,
Bob> "about.xml", it doesn't understand how that file is included, eg:

Bob> <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
Bob> <!DOCTYPE website PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD Website V1.10//EN"
Bob>             "/usr/pkg/share/sgml/docbook-website/1.10/website.dtd" [
Bob> <!ENTITY whatsnew SYSTEM "whatsnew.xml">
Bob> <!ENTITY comp_centric SYSTEM "comp_centric.xml">
Bob> <!ENTITY without_comps SYSTEM "without_comps.xml">
Bob> <!ENTITY downloads SYSTEM "downloads.xml">
Bob> <!ENTITY about SYSTEM "about.xml">
Bob> ]>

Bob> The result is that nsgmls condemns "about.xml"s first line

Bob> <webpage><config param="filename" value="about.html"/>

Bob> claiming the doctype does not allow the entity 'webpage' here.
Bob> So Mark, I take it this was what might have become clear to me if
Bob> I only _thought_ about it a little more? <bg>

And if you read posts a little more carefully :-)

In my_preamble.sgm, you must specify _the child element_
(eg. "webpage" above), _not_ the root element (eg. "website").

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
EngSoc adopts market economy: cheap is wasteful, efficient is expensive.