Re: HELP, my Debian Server was hacked!

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:19:34AM +0200, Mauro Chiarugi wrote:
> Il Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:48:23 -0500 (CDT)
> David Ehle s? che favelando
> sibill?:
>
> > nightly apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>
> But if it asks human interaction?? How can i do??

apt-get --assume-yes upgrade

That'll answer 'yes' to any questions asked (like, asking you if you
want to install the package).

I'm not a huge fan of doing this, without me actually executing it
because it may break something or stop a service etc. etc.
I have a shell script that's in /etc/cron.daily that looks like:
#!/bin/sh
#
apt-get update
apt-get --assume-yes --simulate upgrade

#EOF

So when it's executed, it does an apt-get update as normal and then does
a simulated upgrade. So it shows you what would happen if there are
packages to be upgraded but it doesn't actually apply it.

With any output to STDOUT from cron, you get an email about it so this
way I can look at these everyday and see which servers have updates
availble for them and what will happen if I apply them.

HTH,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden <david@hexstream.eu.org>