Re: own kernel vs debian kernel

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 03:10:40AM +0100, Johannes Holzer wrote:
> It's much simpler by doing it the Debian way:
> make menuconfig / xconfig, whatever
> make-kpkg kernel_image --revision yourkernel
> Creates a nice little .deb with all the things you need, you just have
> to dpkg -i it to get your bzImage installed to /boot, actualized
> vmlinuz.old, modules installed and lilo run. Works with
> debian-kernel-sources as well as official ones. Great for making kernels
> on one machine and using them on another.

However I don't want my kernels to be named that way. I
want:

	/boot/linux-2.4.20jfg
	/boot/linux-2.5.60tst

I don't like the softlinks in / and I get rid of them. My taste:
I just don't like anything extra at that level. I tend
to rm anything unessential in /.

I also have very customized standard lilo.conf's.

I've never used the install side for that reason. It just doesn't do
what I want it to do, or if it does, I am unaware of how
to make it do my thing and not its'.

> All in all, nice little tool :)

Yes, it is. It just doesn't seem to do quite what I
want unfortuneately. I'd love it if it did.

       IN MY NAME:            Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  No Mushroom clouds over     Islandone Society
    London and New York.      www.islandone.org