Re: own kernel vs debian kernel

Luis Gomez wrote:

On Sábado, 12 de Abril de 2003 14:35, Dale Amon wrote:
I usually build on a different machine than the target one as servers
or firewalls usually don't need gcc and such, which I remove from them
where possible.

In machines where you don't need modules, I guess you just compile and then copy to the target machine the bzImage and the System.map . In case you _do_ need modules, do you copy bzImage, System.map and all the modules dir to the target machine?

It's much simpler by doing it the Debian way:
make menuconfig / xconfig, whatever
make-kpkg kernel_image --revision yourkernel
Creates a nice little .deb with all the things you need, you just have to dpkg -i it to get your bzImage installed to /boot, actualized vmlinuz.old, modules installed and lilo run. Works with debian-kernel-sources as well as official ones. Great for making kernels on one machine and using them on another.

All in all, nice little tool :)

Regards,
Johannes Holzer