Math/Science track for Debconf10: Presentations/Talks and coordinator needed

Dear Debian Science,

As you are aware, DebConf 10 is scheduled to take place from the 1st to
the 7th of August, 2010 in New York City, USA, and it's the biggest
event in the Debian calendar, where contributors and fans get together
to discuss the state of affairs and future directions for the Debian
projects, while also having a lot of fun.  Are you interested in coordinating
and encouraging events about how Debian is used in Mathematics and the Sciences?

Since Debian is used across the world by various scientists as part of
their daily work, it would be very nice to have track for talks
related exclusively to using Debian for Scientific and Mathematical
tasks. This would make it a nice way to communicate to the
contributors and users on how tools and applications shipped with
Debian enable researchers to put Debian into use for their daily
tasks. So, we would like to ask people to come forward with ideas and
talks on how they use Debian for scientific and mathematical tasks, so that we can
cover this important aspect of Debian usage.

We would also like someone to come forward to coordinate a thematic
track about debian and science, and handle the scheduling and of talks in this track. The
track coordinator would help encourage a diverse set of talks on interesting
and useful topics, and then help the talks committee ensure that they
are selected and scheduled in a logical grouping and order.  During
DebConf, the coordinator can introduce the speakers and topics, and
serve to unify the track of talks.

The deadline for talk submissions is May 1st (this Saturday), so
getting a track coordinator (or at least, someone to prod for a
variety of talks to be submitted) selected soon would be best.
Submitting a brief abstract by Saturday is "highly recommended", but
we will work with any submissions we get.  However, the talks
committee will meet within a few weeks so an abstract should be
submitted as soon as possible.

Would anyone like to volunteer to coordinate a track on Science and Mathematics
in Debian for DebConf 10, or nominate someone who would do this well?

You can reach members of the talks team privately at
talks@debconf.org, or feel free to contact the whole DebConf team
(publicly) at debconf-team@lists.debconf.org.

Thanks!

Kumar (On behalf of the Debconf10 organizers)
--
We come to bury DOS, not to praise it.
(Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu, paraphrasing a quote of Shakespeare)